how do the japanese rank the ghibli films?

Posted by Berzerk! @ March 1st, 2013 | Filed Under: Feature Articles

Every fan has their favourites, but when it comes to films as fantastic as those of Studio Ghibli, picking a #1 is pretty hard.  However, a Japanese poll has taken the challenge.

After asking 130,00 Japanese fans on the “Research Panel” website, Shunkan News published these results… drumroll:

1. My Neighbor Totoro (24.3 percent)
  2. Castle in the Sky (17.6)
  3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (14.8) (Check out the beautiful new Manga box set)
  4. Spirited Away (10.9)
  5. Kiki’s Delivery Service (9.1)
  6. Princess Mononoke (4.9)
  7. Porco Rosso (4.2)
  8. Howl’s Moving Castle (2.5)
  9. Ponyo (2.1)

Do you agree with the order?  What would your pick be?

A quick survey of the #1 favourites from the anime team here at Madman?

Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service.

Visit the Studio Ghibli minisite

Comments (5 Comments)

Arrnea said:

11:44pm 01/03/2013

Disappointed by the lack of “Grave of the Fireflies”. It may not be an /entertaining/ film, but I’ll be damned if it’s not an absolute work of art.

My list:
#1 – Grave of the Fireflies
#2 – Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
#3 – Laputa: Castle in the Sky
#4 – My Neighbour Totoro
#5 – Spirited Away

CoalChris said:

5:58pm 02/03/2013

Princess Mononoke always seems to have some of the lowest ratings, but I find it’s the only one with enough action to satisfy my tastes. That and Nausicaa. The rest of them I wouldn’t mind leaving as they are.

BloodiRose said:

6:05pm 03/03/2013

You seem to forget it’s a film a lot of japanese would rather not watch, as they find it very upsetting… It may be a good movie… But it makes sense it’s not on there.

Luffy III said:

9:18pm 03/03/2013

My judgment is this:

1. Howl’s Moving Castle- Stunning. Absolutely stunning. From the characters to the soundtrack, I love how a unique novel can be made into a great anime film.
2. Laputa Castle in the Sky- A lot of fantasy and interesting features about the castle in the sky that has a unique 17th-18th European style feel to the background. The art was well done and the characters are memorable, especially with a familiar animal seen in Nausicaa.
3. Spirited Away- My first anime film and Ghibli film that started my journey as a collector. What fascinates me is the Japanese culture and fantasy mixed together from the spirits and offerings to the beauty and mystery around the world where life can be an adventure

There are plenty to rank but they are a must to watch. Especially with Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke.

Krudda said:

6:39pm 08/03/2013

How is Kiki’s Delivery Service, Majo No Takkyuubin, in 5th place :o This is just not right :(
In its release year it was the highest selling media worldwide. Even today this is an amazing film, everyone should see it at least once.
Spirited away would be my second placer, then Nausicaä Of The Valley of the wind, Kaze No Tani No Nausicaä. Its very hard to rate Ghibli films in order of preference, but these three are definitely _my_ top 3

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Login  or  Sign Up  ... it's quick and easy!